Monday, November 23, 2009

FLIGHT-INCREDIBLE JOURNEY, LP, 1976, USA


The link for this has been down for a while elsewhere, so I couldn't resist reviving this beast. The whiplash inducing dimension of sympho proggery that Flight operate within is distinctly American, with a sound that mates relentless guitar and whizzing synth prog ferocity to Mahavishnu-cum-Moreira fusionoid twists; the conjunction landing 'em somewhere between VIola Crayola and Shadowfax's Watercourse Way, but with added horn chart bombast. This damn thing scarcely ever comes up for air; just cascade after cascade of crashing intensity. Absolutely toe curling and one of the finest prog units this country ever produced.

Get it via Rapidshare here


10 comments:

Jollyherb Greenthumb said...

WOW, deep cut man! It almost sounds as if Gentle Giant & early Chicago Transit Authority were battling it out on the moon, and this was the play by play...or maybe I'm just baked... Bravo, keep up the good work!!!

ushaped said...

Thanks alot, I've looked for years for their first: the unhelpfully named "flight"

Psy Guy said...

Thanks, this is a great change of pace from what I've been listening to lately. Excellent musicianship.

Anonymous said...

These guys HAD to have gone to Berklee.

Anonymous said...

This just reminds me of Rush and various others around the time. They can play alot better than I could(as I don't play a lick), but I don't hear anything here in their music that I have not before.

Anonymous said...

While I'll acknowledge the musicianship, this record was mostly a horrendous, and occasionally intriguing listening experience. All-in-all, truly appalling and totally essential!!

Unknown said...

These American prog bands (I'm thinking of Ethos as well) seem to come across as semi-illiterate compared to their peers across the ocean. They just have nothing to sing about. It's rather embarrassing and not surprising that no American prog bands really took off. Still, like Ethos, the musicianship is tightttt.

JT said...

I've been looking for this album for years! I originally purchased it in 1976 and through many moves "misplaced it". I can now party like it's 1976! Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Yacub is a major shithead.

Sebastian Mecklenburg said...

Really cool. Does someone know the names of the band members? There is absolutely no information on the web.