Wednesday, December 3, 2008

THE LARRY MONDELLO BAND-FOREIGN MATTER EXISTS/SIX IS TEN, TAPE, 1980, USA




Here's my follow-up Larry Mondello Band missive, hot on the heels of my post of their terminally insane Mayfield Mornings cassette. Alas, though I'd said in that first post that there would be two follow-up installments of the Mondello saga, I'll be limiting it to just this one more now, as their piece de resistance, the Playing With Static cassette is in fact available from the artist on self produced CDR's for a nominal sum (you can view his catalog Here and contact him to order it Here ) and they richly deserve your support. Foreign Matter Exists/Six Is Ten shares all the terminal Residential-isms of the Mayfield Mornings tape, but the expression here is far more art brut, providing little foothold for those not truly committed to the idea of abject retardation as an artistic stance in it's own right. Those who ARE on board
for such sickness will find lots to treasure here: dictaphone duets for tin can and falsetto, 49 Americans cum Door and The Window tinkertoy post punk vignettes, Casio splat, mulched clatter, diseased wheeze and outtakes from what sounds like self expression hour at Otto Muehl's AAO Kommune.


Get pt. 1 via Sharebee Here

Get pt. 2 via Sharebee Here

Get it via Rapidshare Here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you familiar with 'the vitamin b12' from brighton U.K?

Anonymous said...

Hey very good stuff! I watch your stuff more than one time, and i would tell my friends that the "Mutant" sound rocks ;-)
Greets

M. Barrett said...

I don't live too far from Vernon, CT. I wonder if I could get this band to come up and play a house show sometime...

Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am from JamsBio.com and just wanted to let you know we gave Mutant Sounds a shout out in our magazine. Our editor discovered some great new music from your site and just wanted to thank you by featuring it in his most recent article. Here is the link to the article to check it out: http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2008/12/04/rare-prog-psych-tracks/ Please email me if you have any comments or concerns.


Thanks,
Ryan
ryan@jamsbio.com

Anonymous said...

Hi
I love your blog ! You're posting wonderful stuff.
I thought you might be interested to see what's been posted here :

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/henry-cow-with-friends-and-family-1974-1999-a-78770.html

Great stuff. But maybe it comes from you ?

Anonymous said...

I actually saw these guys perform in Hartford back in the late 80's, and had a copy of this cassette, and still have my cassette copy of "Fun With Static" somewhere. Very entertaining show, the kind of thing sleepy burgs like Hartford always need (though to be fair, there was lots of semi-regular weirdo music going on in Hartford when I lived there-- makes me think that even in the most random places there are nut-job-geniuses kicking against the "normals." That Debris LP that came outta Nowhere, Arkansas is another good example.)

Anonymous said...

Additionally:

I dug out the "Fun With Static" cassette, and mused that other obscure albums I've owned over the years I've ditched, but for some reason I kept this one. I mean, I owned a copy of the first Mecki Mark Men LP when I was 14 and never thought much of it from the first listen, but this Larry Mondello Band cassette was somehow worthy of staying in my collection. Part of it might be the one benefit of cassette culture-- when I needed money I couldn't bring a home made cassette "album" down to the local used record shop and expect to get anything for it; survival of the "least fit."

Seems LMB played at Trinity College several times over the years (where I saw them my one-and-only time). On a side note a sad story-- the radio station at Trinity was known for supporting underground music since the 70's-- at one time they had tape reels of live performances by Daevid Allen, Etron Fou, and I think Fred Frith, that they had sponsored at Trinity, however a part time DJ decided to tape his RnB show over the reels-- we went to play the Daevid Allen tape and it was a "smooth soul mix", ARRGGGGGG!!! It hurts just thinking about it, but perhaps some of the old DJs there made cassette copies.

kills said...

hey, i don't know where else to post this but i have a blog you may be interested in

killingtimekills.blogspot.com

check it out.

Anonymous said...

doomtemple.blogspot.com

if you like mutant sounds you should like what doomtemple will soon become!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I actually own this tape. Talk about obscure. and dig this, I took it out of my tape collection to show a friend, he opened up the case and a joint fell out. . . g-wiz, how long has that been in there!? I don't think I had played this tape since about 1990!