Saturday, November 24, 2007

ICEPLANTS-HAPPYTIME AT THE WOW CLUB, 12" E.P., 1985, USA







































This utterly obscure and idiosyncratic D.I.Y curio (not one peep about 'em online) comes courtesy of a rather endearingly maladroit ensemble that affect an enervated plod, albeit an affable one. The lumbering movement, abject piano plonk and affectless recitative lyrical spew correspond rather more to the ungainliness of 70's Czech underground styles than anything domestic that readily comes to mind, though their semi-ridiculous lyrical concerns seem indigenous enough. Curious and oddly compelling, yet also sorta inane. You be the judge...

Get it Here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was also this one sided see-through 6" flexi "Poor thing". Lyrics went "Poor thing you are / contemplating suicide / ..." Quite depressing, not very good musically either.

Anonymous said...

Not very good musically is what gives it it's charm, no?

Anonymous said...

Can you learn to write the least bit coherently? I'm an editor and I know that's a bunch of rubbish.

vdoandsound said...

anonymous-Jeez...I wonder if I'll ever be able to meet your oh so high standards, my sage master of the editorial process. Perhaps you should consult with Dave Segal, my former editor at Alternative Press Magazine (now at the OC Weekly) vis a vis my writing prowess, you cocky little twat. Otherwise, shove off. Your attitude is the real bit of rubbish on display here, ingrate.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I wrote here as "anonymous", because I don't wan't to log, ... but I'm a french collector from Marseille called Fabrice B., you even can mail me at opheeling@wanadoo.fr... I trade a lot... well, I used to have this (cool) records, and keep their (unique?) FULL LENGHT from 1986 called "Done By The Iceplants", I also buyed that in Paris back in 1988... it's just a GREAT RECORD in it's genre! I like this band.
Kind regards/ Fab

meltedrubbersoul said...

Demon Rum is, like, my new favorite song ever. Very "Songs in the Key of Z" all the way through. Thank you.