Friday, February 9, 2007

Start - Look Around, LP, USA,1983(Allen Ginsberg featured!)

Lawrence, Kansas has been the site of interesting commingling of young bands and aging literati. Start's album boasts the presence of Allen Ginsberg, who wrote the lyrics for and sings (a bizarre treat) one number. Look Around is low-key but charming — '60s Midwest pop given an '80s sensibility. Some of the songs are overtly socio-political (especially Ginsberg's), but the sound is so authentically old-fashioned you half expect the rhetoric to be anti-Nixon.
[Ira Robbins]
A magnificent record!
get it here

6 comments:

ellanios said...

EFXARISTO POLU GIA TIS ANAMNISEIS KAI TOUS HUMAN HANDS

Stella said...

You, Sir or Madam, are a treasure. Thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

I had purchased this on vinyl when it came out in 1983. A great album that had become lost in time. Until now. Thanks for recovering it. ~ KansasBoy

roothands said...

I just found this record, and I'm glad I caved in and bought it, even though it was a bit pricey (though I'm wondering if it's worth more than I paid for it...) I'm a really huge fan of Felt and this had a similar sound (I could tell by looking at the album cover that it would be right up my alley).

boyspider77 said...

Brings me back to the mid 80s when I used "An Evening Such as This" for a super 8 movie soundtrack!! Thanks!

Noisebuteasy said...

Link not work