Thursday, July 26, 2007

Peter Scion-Sweet Sorrow Man,CD,1998,Sweden


Here's another Peter Scion gem from 1998.Dark folkish C&W (!) this time(note i hate C&W music ,but this one kicks ass).Here 's what Peter Scion himself tells about it:

ALONG THE TRACKS OF 'SWEET SORROW MAN'
NOTES BY PETER SCION
After three folk/psych oriented albums, I felt that I needed to change direction. I needed to take care of another great musical interest of mine--country music. Or at least, bring it out into light. I've always argued that there is country music hidden beneath the surfaces of the previous albums as well, although the influence wasn't as obvious as it is on 'Sweet Sorrow Man'. I find it very easy to imagine 'These Darkened Trees' with a swinging country groove, and it's still something of a dream to dress up 'In the Forest' in full bluegrass garb with banjos and fiddles and everything. Actually, the silly, tongue-in-cheek 'Last Song' that ended up as the hidden bonus track on 'Sweet Sorrow Man' was recorded during the 'Amethyst Dream' sessions!
'Sweet Sorrow Man' was originally supposed to come out as a cassette only EP. The working title was 'Songs of Dedication', and the songs planned for inclusion were 'Rain', 'Falling Through', 'Gentle Wandering Ways', 'Only Shadows of Her Presence', 'Like A Hurricane' and 'The Last Song'. But songs kept coming, and suddenly there were six new recordings. 'Gentle Wandering Ways' was dropped, the version of 'Rain' was substituted by a new and better version, and 'The Last Song' was, as said before, hidden away as a bonus track on 'Sweet Sorrow Man'. I wanted it there, because there was no way I could leave the listener stuck in the pitch-black sadness of 'Like A Hurricane'. It just wouldn't have been fair.
'Sweet Sorrow Man' was my personal favourite when it was released, and it's still very special to me. I'm really proud of 'Sweet Sorrow Man'. I decided to include the many cover versions, because I thought--and still think--they fit in nicely with the story I wanted to tell. I think 'Kathleen' is one of my best recordings to date. It was actually a friend of mine who suggested I should cover it, but at that time, I knew I couldn't. Then one day, it felt just right to do it. The song said everything I wanted to say. The vocals are a first take.
'Is It Raining in Seattle?' was written prior to 'Devachan', and it was in fact recorded for but dropped from the album. For 'Sweet Sorrow Man' the song was brought out again, but the original version wouldn't have worked within the context of this new context. However, I couldn't decide how to grab the song, and so slightly frustrated, I just turned up the recording volume and went for it. The levels were actually too high, so the entire song is a bit over-heated, but I love that devil-may-care attitude. Like with a lot of other songs on 'Sweet Sorrow Man', the basic track and most of the overdubs are first takes.
'Sweet Sorrow Man' is also the album I have pick songs from most often when performing live. 'Lover's Crime' and 'Is It Raining in Seattle?' both made their way into Pangolin's repertoire, and when the atmosphere is right, I still pull out 'Kathleen'. It's a timeless song of timeless emotions. Besides, if I can show Townes Van Zandt the tiniest bit of respect by playing his song, I will until the end of time.
Lars Holmquist at Domestica did the album cover. I brought him the pictures, and the next time I met him, the cover was finished. I loved it right away!
But to be honest, I'm not sure whether 'Sweet Sorrow Man' should be called 'country music'. Someone named the style 'Country & Northern'--I guess that's the best name for it. Because, you know, what does a Scandinavian know about country music anyway?


get it here


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Thanks!