Friday, July 27, 2007

FACELESS/OTTO KENTROL-FAKE/GHOST BOY-SPLIT LP, 1983, USA




Interestingly, though I've posted Otto Kentrol material in the past (which I'd deemed "excellent sax-skronking art damage"), their work here is not at all the reason for this split album being posted by me, their sensibility having taken a not terribly appealing (if nevertheless entirely distinctive) turn toward a fusion of slack mutant funk and supper club jazz in the intervening three years since the debut of theirs that I posted. No, it's entirely for Faceless' beautifully ungainly perambulations that this post is showing up here. Somewhat Beefheartian in approach (though not in a way particularly redolent of any of the other Beefheart-indebted units I've posted over time here), their M.O. filters these impulses through a mottled blanket of post no wave Downtown NY motion that's directly keyed into the same aesthetic territory being explored by the sundry bands included on the the Peripheral Vision compilation LP I posted a while back.

Get it Here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for posting this one. Like many of the posts here, it brings back pleasant memories of my earliest shows on WFMU. (I started there in early '84.) This era of post-prog, post-punk oddball rock sounds so good now. Along those lines, did you know that the Arkansaw Man e.p. recently got reissued?
http://www.mimaroglumusicsales.com/artists/arkansaw+man.html

vdoandsound said...

wmmberger-I just recently picked up that Arkansas Man e.p. along with an original 12" of of 'em from Fusetron but haven't yet investigated them. Descriptions involving "languid sour leakages of keyboards and horns" amindst no wave chop and change sound pretty hot, though...gotta admit...