Sunday, July 22, 2007

THE MESMERIZING EYE-PSYCHEDELIA-A MUSICAL LIGHT SHOW, LP, 1967, USA




Strangely absent from most accounts of of America's contribution to avant psychedelia (50 Foot Hose, United States Of America, Silver Apples, Friendsound, et.al.), the work of The Mesmerizing Eye might just trump them all, insofar as all of the aforementioned will periodically come up for air and give the listener a chance to regain their orientation and equilibrium. The Mesmerizing Eye will have none of that sorta pussyfooting about. From the word go, this is a brainfrying mindfuck that sounds like the most twisted bits of Friendsound ("everyone must eat rhubarb pie...") nerve-rattlingly dragged out for the album's duration. Searing acid guitar, air raid sirens, crying babies, thunderstorms, detuned marching bands staggering past...and all of that in just the first few minutes. All you psychonauts have been duly warned. Note: All tracks on this album segue into one another, so I've indexed sides A & B as one track each. Also...despite the fact that it's considered to be an LP, this album runs a scant 23+ minutes.


***************NEW LINK POSTED OCTOBER 2012***************

Get it here  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture shows the US edition. It was also released in Germany in a slightly different sleeve. Can anyone tell me more about this fantastic band? Are there more releases? In the meantime download this cult classic, if you don`t have it already.

Anonymous said...

I could only get Side A to work. I downloaded it twice even. That first side, however, was pretty freakin' amazing.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post! I love this late '60s analog all-over-the-place sound collage stuff! Thank you! I have a very hard to find request: does anyone have the rare Mort Garson soundtrack to the 1970 film, Didn't You Hear? This is a tough LP to even find info on....Thanks again,

-Jon

Jesse said...

I'm seriously, seriously digging side 1, but I think the side 2 file is corrupted. It's crashed my ZipIt both times I've DLed. Please re-up! And thanks for the great dig! (And all the great digs.)

vdoandsound said...

Anonymous and jesse-I just downloaded this to test it and it worked fine for me. Dunno why you're both encountering this problem...hmmm....

Mystery Poster said...

Great piece, yes, but come on, baby.. I put this one up over 2 weeks ago, daddy-o!

MYSTERY POSTED on 7/7/07

At the link above, it is indexed as the 10 separate tracks..

~MP

p/s I check your site before posting, you know...

vdoandsound said...

MP-As always, I did a google blog search (repeatedly actually, becuase I couldn't believe no one had posted it yet) on this title before posting it and it showed zilch. My apologies for the inadvertant overlap, but realistically, I can't be expected to check every site in the music blogosphere *individually* before posting a title, and so must rely on the google search instead. Try doing a search for it right now and see what turns up. The more pressing issue seems to me to be why your postings aren't always showing up in google searches. I wonder if it's just this one or if other titles you've posted are failing to show up as well....hmmmm....

anyway, sorry again for the overlap, MP. It was anything but intentional.

Mystery Poster said...

In order to find something, using Google proper (as opposed to the rickety Blogger Search... it's still in Beta-testing, what can I say!?).......

I use boolean search methods to focus on the band name individually (and/or album title, as necessary, for more common word combinations) plus the word: blogspot and it nets pretty much anything out there; i.e. inputting this data into search:

"mesmerizing eye" blogspot = 34 hits

..pages 1 & 2+3 are yours (because you pagerank higher, more hits per day) and mine, respectively.

..and, someone did blog this last fall, with no picture: dead link. Found it back then, no need to now.

-MPstir

vdoandsound said...

MP-Yup....you are absolutely correct, and adding the word blogspot to the search is a very good idea, one I feel dumb for not having realized myself. Thanks for the pointers.

Anonymous said...

One thing is stealing other bloggers links ... other thing completely different and comprehensible is when different bloggers post the same record upload without knowing the other has done it... I don't see any problem if it's the second hypothesis. It's funny : there's no problem posting other people's records to download, but there are "complains" when there's a duplication of posts about the same records ...