Thursday, March 27, 2008

MR. PARTRIDGE-TAKE AWAY/THE LURE OF SALVAGE, LP, 1980





XTC were effectively the Beatles of my youth and the Mr. Partridge LP was my first indication that there was much more up 'ol Andy's sleeve than "merely" being one of the greatest songsmiths of the 20th century. Across these two sides, Partridge's secret affection for experimental dementia and dub fuckery was laid bare. Subjecting prior XTC material to radical vivisection and constructing dizzying avant pop mosaics on top of it's shattered remains, Take Away/The Lure Of Salvage is a pitifully overlooked masterpiece that compares favorably to the top tier of Ralph Records' output circa this timeframe. Out of print for some 18 years (it last saw release in 1990 on the "Explode Together" CD coupled with the further dub experiments of Andy's found on XTC's Go+ E.P.), this is a cornerstone piece of warped music history and one of Andy's finest achievements.

***************NEW LINK POSTED OCTOBER 2012***************

Get it here 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this - and everything you do.

Alicia P. said...

Thank you! I love this album!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, this one is a beauty. All tracks are dub takes of tracks on "Drums and Wires" e.g. "Commerciality" is "Roads Girdle the Globe", "Madhatten" is "That is the way that that is done" etc. See if you can pick them all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!I'm just starting to catch up with all of the amzing stuff here but the Mr.Partridge record has monopolized quite a bit of my time however. I like XTC but find their relentless pop kind of draining, so its nice to see that pop sensibility twisted and bent like this. Great stuff.

Richard Bunky Bell said...

Every generation has it's pop geniuses. Andy Partridge is certainly one from the 80s. Some of the XTC stuff is so sublime it makes me wonder where it came from. Some of it causes tears to well up in my eyes and I can't stop it.
This is one of the recordings I had to pass on when it was released due to financial restrictions. I am glad to finally hear it.
Thank you for this

Anonymous said...

Agreed on the under-rated pop brilliance of Partridge.

I remember seeing this album once -- in a record store bin shortly after it was released, but never since. I'd always wondered what it was like. Now that I hear it, I think it's quite amazing. It reveals a much more quirky, adventurous side of Partridge that many people might not have guessed at.

This would play nicely alongside the 1st two Rip Rig + Panic LPs. Many thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

This has remained on the periphery of my curiosity for 30 years, and now, since it is impossible to find or hear otherwise, I thank you very much for providing the opportunity!

Anonymous said...

downloaded the link, and while i was thrilled to have the music, the vinyl rip left lots to be desired (and the missing track and a half was a downer, too). after hunting high and low (and not being able to find my CD of it from years ago), i finally found and am here to share Explode Together, the XTC dub experiments. Which is Go+ with the Mr. Partridge LP. damn good and fit to be spread around..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UBMSWY11

Unknown said...

I forgot how much I desperately I always wanted to hear this! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

does anyone knows the cat.# of XTC japanese 1st press cd albums?
as far as i know the oldest are the VJD issues (released in 1989), anyone knows older ones?
thanks.
M

CurbAppeal said...

Thank you thank you for keeping this upped!

Cormac Figgis said...

Any chance of another link again?

Anonymous said...

rhaaa, raté !!!!!!!!!!!! (klimpeu-ray)

jagpsa said...

Mr. Partridge - Take Away/the Lure of Salvage (1980)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/1gfccbosjj0j/APar80.rar