Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ALAN SORRENTI-COME UN VECCHIO IN INCENSIERE ALL'ALBA DI UN VILLAGIO DESERTO, LP, 1973, ITALY




Transcendent and phantasmagorical work from one of the premier visionaries of the Italian cosmic rock continuum that includes the likes of Franco Battiato, Pierrot Lunaire, Franco Leprino and Arturo Stalteri (to name check just a few), and his work here on "Comme Un Vecchio...", while absent some of the blasted rockist momentum of his debut LP "Aria" ripples and shudders across your consciousness with such palpable psychotropic force, a contact high is almost a forgone conclusion. The deeply folk-inflected material that comprises side A beckons with a profound warmth and humanity to it that compares favorably to Lucio Battisti's sublime mid 70's work on Anima Latina; Sorrenti's wildly keening vocals soaring over these components to completely throat-lump-inducing effect, but it's the side-long title track spread across side B that truly renders this album a holy grail of the scene. Beginning with ecstatic wordless caterwauling appended to atonal piano maneuvers, scything electronics and ritualistic percussion roiling and tumbling across the stereo spectrum like some mediterranean cousin of Igor Wakhevitch, these hair raising elements gradually coalesce at the half-way mark into a round of deliriously emotive acoustic guitar driven rock hysteria wrenching enough to drop you to your knees. I for one am humbled in it's presence.

Get it Here

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Sorrenti and thanks for you your continued excavation of Italian cosmic weirdness. You’ve revealed to me a side of Italian prog that I never knew existed.

Anonymous said...

MS: thanks for this hot nugget. Totally lost proggy folkness. Never really gets the heaviness of Comus, but nails the freer weirdness aspect...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Eric! Sounds good....
I finally thought of my ultimate MS request, and I'll just bet that YOU have it: The Vogel LP, as in Robel Vogel, known for his tracks on ReR compilations. I know that he made one full solo LP, though I've never even seen it, much less heard it. Go on, make my day.

vdoandsound said...

wmmberger-Wish I could. Thats one I've looked for in vain myself...Maybe try asking Jim when he returns...

Anonymous said...

MORE OF cosmic italian prog rock of this earGASM aura aura kind will be higly appreciated !!!

Unknown said...

some seriously over looked stuff here, wow. this stuff is good.

thanks guys, you are always re constructing my ear and tuning it to the real GOOD stuff ahaha

thanks again

lov
clu

Maestro said...

Hello friends,
I have a request about some terrific tracks that I want to know the name or composer of them.

Please check these Sample Tracks here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?pj0dmx3zgbp


And


http://www.mediafire.com/?e4mtvexjzmx


If you know any of these tracks or Composers let me know please.

Thanks for spending your time and checking these Tunes.

The tracks: 5,6,7 and 8 are really important to me.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Zalman.

Anonymous said...

Track 5: Pet Shop Boys?

Track 6: Book of Love?

Track 7: Bonnie Tyler

Track 8: ????

Anonymous said...

Do you have the first Saint Just album?

Martin said...

wasn't David Jackson of vdgg playing on this album?

vdoandsound said...

Martin-wow...somehow that slid right past me, but you're right! Evidently, the album was recorded in Britain and featured both David Jackson of VDGG and Francis Monkman of Curved Air on it. Fascinating...

quidtum said...

Thanks for the impressive work and for opening many other doors to your knowledge of music.
S@int Just 1st record is here:
http://sharebee.com/89a0109b

All credits & thanks to the original uploader

Anonymous said...

Greate Blog! Very good work ! Is there any way to post the NOVY SVET/DER BLUTHARSCH tape ""Exposition - music based on futuristic theories"?

vdoandsound said...

anonymous-thanks for the kind words, but you'll have to look elsewhere for anything Blutarsch related. I completely loathe all that fascism promoting apocalypse folk crap. I consider those folks my enemies.

Norberto said...

Any Claudio Rocchi LPs, Maybe?
I have a lot of issues of magazines JIm is looking for...
He can contact me at esculpiendo@gmail.com
Thank you as always for your work

cheeba said...

wow. floored once again. i really owe you guys for turning me onto this italian stuff.

Anonymous said...

Very strange and beautiful aural potion, a little bit weirder than the more renowned Aria. The instrumental parts have a very nice folk touch, the vocals remind of her sister Jenny, but sound weird in a male singer given the fact they share the same pitch!
I have the first Saint Just by the way but I have problems with my drive, if I find someone to encode it for me I can offer it to Mutant Sounds

Anonymous said...

Many Thanks for this, great blog

EM

Anonymous said...

would you please re-up??? thanks so much!