Saturday, March 7, 2009

TIREZ TIREZ-ETUDES, LP, 1980, USA



Stark and terse post punk machinations of a decidedly early Talking Heads-like bent from this Downtown-NY-by-way-of-Kansas crew fronted by one Mikel Rouse, who'd latterly gain more renown for his take on the minimalism meme that he'd embark on with his Broken Consort after Tirez Tirez's demise. Issued on the mega-collectible British Object Music label, Tirez Tirez's work on Etudes takes as it's point of departure the most pared back facets of the early Talking Heads aesthetic. What results is a subdued slow burn (Byrne?) of an album whose supple, shaded and restrained grooviness reveals more with each successive spin. Thanks to an anonymous friend of the blog for contributing this!

Note: The links for this have been pulled, as this amazing album is soon to be made available again in remastered form by Mr. Rouse, details of which will be forthcoming on his site Here

7 comments:

icastico said...

Great stuff. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Any chance you could post "Against All Flags"?

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this one a long time. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

wonderful music!!! Thanks a lot for that post!!

(dell.tree)
http://www.fronharecords.com

Anonymous said...

This is great. I'll second the request for "Against All Flags."

MR said...

Hi. Mikel Rouse here. I was so pleased to see this post. Etudes was my first "official" release with Tirez Tirez and it holds a fond memory for me. I recently archived all of my analog recordings from the 80s so maybe I can make these available in the future. thanks again.

vdoandsound said...

Hi Mikel-Really great to see you commenting here! I'd be more than happy to share further works of yours on Mutant Sounds as you decide to make them available. If you want to email me directly, I can be reached at: pantheonbar@gmail.com

Eric (vdoandsound)