Thursday, January 10, 2008

ST. TROPEZ-ICARUS, CD, 1992 (RECORDED: 1977-1978), ITALY





Though it's largely gone unrecognized (and has the misfortune of being saddled with an unpromising name and the miserable cover art that graces this archival recording), St. Tropez deserve all the huzzahs that can be lavished on them, as this Ciro Perrino (ex-Celeste, Il Sistema) led project is a key piece of the Italian cosmic rock canon. While this sits tidily astride the near-supernatural likes of Franco Battiato, Pierrot Lunaire, Telaio Magnetico, Franco Leprino and Arturo Stalteri (coming shortly) and possesses that ineffable air of blasted otherness that's such a hallmark of this dimension of the Italian 70's scene, Perrino's specific space rock vision owes even more to the liquidly surging psychotropic zonkery of You-era Gong and early Steve Hillage, a trait that should endear this to a legion of psychonauts. Strong medicine.

***************NEW LINK POSTED OCTOBER 2012***************

Get it here 

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Just listened to this and I have to say that it has some amazing drumming and psychedelic flourishes. At times the music almost feels contemporary, like it could have been released in the early 90's. Thanks for sharing this.

Peace, Kevin

http://eclectic-grooves.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

First of all, I have to thank you for all the fantastic music you're making available for all of us here.
I noticed, to my great pleasure that some of my own album pictures are now part of your blog...(-¦...

I downloaded quite a lot of your music for my personal pleasure and I'll never give back my appreciation to the measure I'd wished I would...

Now, seriously, my friend I'm telling you, I don't know why but I can't log in any massmirror links into your fabulous blog ...and that bugs me quite a lot.

Would you be kind enough to give alternate links to this one....

I'm francois and you can find me here:

http://rateyourmusic.com/~weaver

feel free to contact me if you like...

This one I wish just between you and me...(-¦

Anonymous said...

wow, this is awesome!, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Glad to help out, Eric :^D)

Didja dig the Rita Lee ?

~Craig

El Isabelino said...

Thanks for all the great music on your blog that otherwise would be pretty difficult to get by.You make a lot of difference for a bunch of us.Muchas gracias desde Puerto Rico.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this record!!! It's great. I've been looking for it for years. Now, I've got it. Really, I appreciate this so much.
Have you got something from "Horizont" or from "Gunesh Ensemble"? Thanks a lot!!!

Nick Jorgensen said...

This one is an absolute beaut -- I play it when I'm driving across the desolate eastern Washington scablands and farms on my way to Seattle and it feels as if it was composed just for this stretch of road. Amazing blog, too!

An Dy said...

this is my new favorite album, thanks so much!!!!

Webbaticy said...

Hi,
is it possible to re-upload it?
Thanx