Wednesday, May 2, 2007

JULES BAPTISTE-RED DECADE, 12" EP, 1982, USA




One of the most obscure releases on Glenn Branca's Neutral Records label, Jules Baptiste here leads a 5 man ensemble driven by the dual saxophone front-line of Fritz Van Orden (featured on Branca's Symphony No.1) and future Laurie Anderson sideman Bill Obrecht. What results is, not unexpectedly, hot and punchy hocketing horn driven Downtown NY style stuff that should please anyone even tangentially interested in that scene.

Get part 1 Here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this wacked thing. I remember reading a review of this when it came out (25 years ago!!)...and now that I've heard it I love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, but can I beg , in a shameless fashion, for sharebee links. They appear to be working fine now.

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to have seen Red Decade twice during the summer of 1982, the first time at the Mudd Club, and the second time at Tramp's, when it was still on E. 15th and Irving Place. I think Fritz Van Orden went on to start his own group, the Ordinaires; Bill Obrecht was in another group at the time - La Guapa Papa - but there was definitely a lot of cooperation and cross-breeding between members of the downtown scene. To me, it seemed very novel: not improvised rock soloing, but rather well planned and orchestrated, with references to film noir. What I remember most fondly, though, was that this was mostly undiscovered, without any interest from large labels - in other words, done for the sake of the music, not for commerical acclaim.

Myke said...

THANK YOU for posting this! Huge Ordinaires fan going back in time.

Mold Prince said...

oh no! Link is dead, and there's only a link to part 1. In a tangental post, this was likened to implog. If that's the case, I must hear it. I'd be eternally grateful for an updated link!