Wednesday, April 18, 2007

DALEK I-COMPASS KUM'PAS, LP, 1980, UK




An album containing a wealth of subtly amazing (and often delightfully odd) things happening within what at first glance can superficially seem like pleasantly slick commercial new wave. Intricate, hyper catchy and full of exceeding smart choices in instrumental voicings and stereo imaging, I hear passing bits of of the grandiose drama of The Associates (if not their histrionics), the witty and structurally skewed synthetically driven work of The Passage and the arty-to-the-point-of-showing-your-prog-roots work of The Shiny Men and new wave-era Anthony Moore. One of my favorite recent discoveries.

Note: link removed as this is shortly due for reissue on Medical Records.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks! really liked this... love the tacks freedom fighters and dalek i love you...

nice one!


Mik

Anonymous said...

re dalek i, v cool album, I can definitely hear some of the associates similarities you mentioned!

Cheers again!

robin said...

Later they released a second album in a different configuration. I have blogged the recent CD issue and also point to my complete discography. Tons of info for fans! Surf:
http://noisetheatre.blogspot.com/

Dr. Design said...

Ohh yes! this one was super good, stood out a bit from the posts around it. very appreciated! GOt any more??

fuzztunnel said...

Very strong first side but definitely front-loaded. By the time you get to the Kinks cover, they've begin to sound a little tired and out of ideas (and a lot like watered-down Elvis Costello).

Anonymous said...

Great blog or should I say goldmine!!

Compass Kum'pass has always been a pearl in my record collection. I was wondering if you have their third LP release "Naive" which was only released on tape, somewhere around 1985.

Thanks!


Boris

D said...

Someday, please repost Dalek I.
Thanks,
D