Thursday, August 2, 2007

INTENSE MOLECULAR ACTIVITY-I.M.A., 8" FLEXI, 1980, USA




This EP landed on my doorstep 30 minutes into the first mushroom trip I ever embarked on by myself and was summarily slapped on the turntable on a wild whim just as everything was kicking in. The damn thing just about tore my head off! This New York unit may have been operating in post-No Wave quarters, but in the same way that Chrome took the post punk template and juiced it with psychotropic excess, this outift proffered a concoction that while bearing some comparison to the likes of Martin Rev, Dark Day, Devo and Richard Bone, takes these minimal synth/post punk stylistic trappings and hoses them down in wetly psychoactive sense deranging treatments. A true blue monster. Note: As noted in the comment board for this EP, it seems that one DJ Hell lifted the first track here ("Blurb") virtually intact and uncredited for his airheaded electroclash club hit "Keep On Waiting", which makes him sorta the P-Diddy of the Peaches set. I bet he'll just be thrilled to see his little ruse exposed here!

***************NEW LINK POSTED SEPTEMBER 2012***************

Get it here  

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuckin' excellent! I'm not on shrooms myself at the moment but this still kicks ass.

Thanks for magnificient work that you do with this blog. Can't thank you enough.

ps. Maybe some more Conrad Schnitzler would be in order... if you have some...

P M X said...

NO MUSHROOMS. i die. every time. good story though!

Unknown said...

this one is excellent, I can't turn it off! many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi does any one her have Robert Schroeder - Galaxy Cygnus A love your blog. Thanks for all the music I have already downloaded from your links.

Anonymous said...

Goddammit, the first track on this was sampled (ripped) almost wholesale on "Keep On Waiting", the opening number of DJ Hell's "NY Muscle" LP from '04. Was it credited on the sleeve notes?

Was it fuck.

Club music - a nest of charlatans.

My sincere thanks for exposing this.

Anonymous said...

Evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU3c81XeKQs

Sigh...

Ryan W said...

I love "Points in Space". Evokes images of trippy 70s sci-fi, especially the warbly chorus.

Mars said...

Sounds like my kinda concoct!!
thanks!

vdoandsound said...

Anonymous-Right you are. While I'd not heard of this poseur before, he's plainly lifted "Blurb" verbatim and dumbed it down for the lowbrow post-Electroclash/Peaches demographic. Yeah...nice to leave this flapping in the breeze. I'm gonna update the description to reflect this now...

vdoandsound said...

I'm gonna hazard a guess that this is the same Don Hunerberg playing that's playing synth on I.M.A.:

http://www.musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=9659

fuzztunnel said...

Good nab there, anonymous!

Bake him away, toys!

Anonymous said...

if you want to listen.

Galaxy Cygnus A . this is a LP rip

http://rapidshare.com/files/54307435/RS-GLXCGA.zip.html

Voxnihil418 said...

At this point about 50% of your links are broken

Anonymous said...

...lame rip-off 20+yrs afterwards!


http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/88180/DJ%20Hell-Keep%20on%20Waiting_Intense%20Molecular%20Activity-Blurb/