Tuesday, August 7, 2007

JAC BERROCAL-LA NUIT EST AU COURANT, CD, 1991, FRANCE






Coming from the distinctly more jazz improv-oriented side of this French experimental gadfly's aesthetic, this CD finds Berrocal teamed up with legendary drummer Jacques Thollot (whom I've also posted work by) along with the dueling contrebasses of Hubertus Biermann and Francis Marmande, with Berrocal sticking exclusively to his trumpet on this occasion. My predilections being what they are, I won't even attempt to situate this in some larger lexicon of jazz-qua-jazz but simply say that there is some beautifully executed and passionate playing at hand here and while I'm obviously more partial to his more explicitly anarchic work elsewhere, there is still a real fascination and pleasure to be found in hearing this NWW list artist's playing in this more formalized context.

Get it Here

2 comments:

alberto said...

I´ve been looking for this
thank u very much!

Anonymous said...

Finally listened to this after downloading it months ago. What a great album! Fascinating aesthetic at work. I would have thought it was 15 years earlier than 1991. Many thanks.