Friday, April 27, 2007

John Pfeiffer-Electronomusic (9 Images),LP,1968,USA



Very little info available about this except that John Pfeiffer was a producer at RCA first working on the technical side, as a design engineer.He studied music and engineering at the University of Arizona and Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kan. After naval service during World War II, he moved to New York, where he attended Columbia University and worked as a jazz pianist before joining RCA in 1949. He worked on teams that developed stereo and quadraphonic recording techniques. He was also a composer and combined his interests in music and engineering in "Electronomusic," an album of his own experimental electronic music that he recorded for RCA in 1968Υ. the instruments are evidently his own inventions - full scan of LP cover and back contain nores
Inharmonic Side-Band! Contraformer! Programmer and Sines! Parametric Blocks! Metric Transperformer! Alphormer and Set! Duotonic Transform! Sequential Sines! Simpliformer! No idea who this guy is or what he used to make the weird sounds contained on this one but it's definitely an electronic curiosity. Somewhere between the avant-garde and Tom Dissevelt's clever poptronic music but with a weird, unique vibe.
get it here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely. Thanks very much for the post.

Conceição said...

I bought this record from an Essex charity shop in around 1990. I got a jolt of excitement/surprise/panic when I saw it on this beautiful blog. It's one of those records I know I have, but it's stored away somewhere (mabye at my mum & dad's house)or it could have been stolen by sensible/corrupt former housemates. I'll share some top-notch gear soon. Thanks for everything!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting - thank you! I have no idea how I'd have tracked this down otherwise.

xxx

Anonymous said...

thanx from urkenny for yet another complete sonic obscurity i possibly would've never heard of if not for your blog!

Unknown said...

Like this post, I picked this record up at a university giveaway. Very out there with sounds that harken back to Delia Derbyshire's BBC work. I was wondering what the sale price would be, my copied in in mint, unopened condition.